Skip to Content
Netherlands with the most charging stations in the EU - Copyright alder - stock.adobe.com

Netherlands with the most charging stations in the EU


The Association of European Car Manufacturers has published a new study on the charging infrastructure in Europe. Half of all charging points in the EU are concentrated in two countries, with the Netherlands, with 90.000 charging points, even ahead of Germany, the home of the automobile, with 60.000 charging points.


If you only look at the areas of these two countries, then they make up less than 10% of the total EU area. The other half of all chargers are spread across the remaining 25 countries, covering 90% of the EU area. The study shows the striking differences in the area of ​​charging infrastructure in Europe. The Netherlands alone has as many charging points as the 23 member states with the fewest charging points.

Top 5 countries with the most charging points in Europe (2021)
Netherlands (90.284)
Germany (59.410)
France (37.128)
Sweden (25.197)
Italy (23.543)
Source ACEA

More commitment required

If electric mobility is to be further promoted within the EU, the political decision-makers must ensure the appropriate framework conditions. According to ACEA, this includes the harmonization of expansion targets in Europe. A European Commission formed in 2021, the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulation (AFIR), is to accompany the standardization and expansion of the charging infrastructure. From ACEA's point of view, this is not yet ambitious enough.

Addendum

Cover image – Copyright alder – stock.adobe.com

Source European Automobile Manufacturers' Association (ACEA)

N. Hawthorn
Last article by N. Hagedorn (Show All)

Leave a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.

9 + one =

Translate »